The church was built by the Bottreaux family, and given along with Egloskerry church to Launceston Priory in 1160. Tremaine was given the right to carry out burials in the churchyard in 1506, for which right it had to make annual payments in money and wax to St Stephen’s Church, Launceston. Previously burials were carried out at Egloskerry.
The church was originally a sub-chapel of Egloskerry, and has in its time also grouped with Tresmere and Treneglos. It is now a parish in its own right, and part of the benefice of Egloskerry, North Petherwin, Tremaine, Tresmere and Trewen.
The population of the parish has never been high, and seems to have peaked in the early 1800’s at around 125 people. The parish itself covers 1,057 acres of land, and 5 acres of water.