History of The Good Shepherd
The Mission Church of the Good Shepherd was built in 1896 and its total cost met by John Gott, the third Bishop of Truro, who had his Palace at Trenython, Tywardreath. It was built “as a thankoffering for a great mercy”. During his episcopate the Bishop often celebrated in “the little church” or sent his Chaplain to take services for him.
In 1896 there were no houses beyond the western end of the Church and there was no Gott Hall, just an empty space. Between the Church and the sea lay rough ground on which gorse bushes grew extensively and the cottagers would spread their washing on these to dry.
The church was a simple rectangular building 74 feet long and 35 feet wide, its roof supported by curved beams, much like an inverted boat. It had a small altar at the east end, beneath a five-light window. There were Choir stalls on each side of the Chancel, an organ to the south of it and a small vestry to the north.
In 1948 the Sanctuary was cleared and resurfaced in Delabole slate under the supervision of William G Scown, a local solicitor and Reader in the Church. A new granite Altar was built and the present Communion rails installed. The organ was placed in a central position just inside the west door. It was restored and rebuilt in its present position in 1984. At the same time the Font was moved from the north-west corner to its more prominent present position.
The coloured glass in the window at the east end was installed in 1954. The panels tell something of the history of this Church, the Parish of Par and the Diocese of Truro.
Over the north door is a plaque depicting “Jesus the Good Shepherd”. This had been in Bishop Gott’s chapel at Trenython and was given to the Church for safe keeping when changes were made to the house in 1982.
Soon after the Bishop’s death the Hall was built on the south side of the Church. It was paid for entirely by subscriptions from parishioners and from the proceeds of sales of work.