Facilities and features


Sadly we don't currently have these but we would like to fund raise at a future point to change that

Parking is available in front of the church for about 4 cars

These are very welcome (and we have also held pet services in the past)

There is a slight lip moving down into the church from the porch but we can assist if needed

Our Building

St Augustine's has a number of historic stained glass windows

The lancet windows in the sanctuary and the window in the North wall of the chancel are 13th century - the glazing by the Victorian C E Kempe, one in memory of Percy, the eight Baron Barrington who died in 1881

The East window is by Clayton & Bell

The West window is 19th century by Hardman

In the south wall there is a window dedicated to Jane Elizabeth, Viscount Barrington, who was born in 1804 and died 79 years later

The window in the south wall of the vestry was re-arranged in 1981 from fragments of medieval glass

We are currently fund raising to restore, lean and protect the windows following a recent survey

The church is open daily and we welcome all visitors who can use the church as a quiet place for prayer and contemplation

St Augustine's is a Grade 2 listed building that dates back to the 12th century

It consisted then of the present nave and probably a small chancel. In the 13th century the chancel was rebuilt and widened towards the north, and the small tower, which projects some 4 ft. into the west end of the nave, was added. The south aisle was built at the end of the 13th century and the north aisle some twenty-five years later, though the latter was considerably repaired at a subsequent period. The fabric was restored in 1863, and the vestry and porch are modern.

The chancel is lighted by a modern traceried window in the east wall, an original lancet at the east end of each side wall and a 14th-century low-side window at the north-west, the last being of one trefoiled light with a transom, below which the light is blocked. All these windows have modern rear arches. At the west end of the south wall are a modern arch and doorway to the vestry and organchamber, and at the east end is a piscina with a cinquefoiled ogee head and modern bowl. The wide chancel arch, dating from the 13th century, is of two chamfered orders, the outer continuous down the jambs and the inner supported by semi-octagonal responds with moulded capitals. Above the capitals the arch has been rebuilt.

The nave is of three bays, and has a modern clearstory with circular cusped windows. Both arcades are of three pointed arches supported by octagonal pillars and responds with moulded capitals and bases. The south arcade dates from the end of the 13th century, and the capitals of its responds are embellished with nail-head ornament. The north arcade is of about 1320, though the mouldings of its capitals and bases seem to have been somewhat altered at a subsequent period. The pointed tower arch in the west wall of the nave is of a single order with an indented label, and dates from the early 13th century; the responds, which are formed of octagonal shafts with moulded capitals and bases, do not appear to be in their original position. There is a square-headed recess to the south of the chancel arch which probably formed the reredos of a nave altar, but its lower part is now built up. At the north-east of the nave is a small ogee-headed piscina of about 1400, without bowl. Both aisles have been extensively restored, and, with the exception of some old jamb stones re-used in the north aisle, the windows and doorways are modern. Several fragments of mediaeval wrought stones have been incorporated in the walling of the south aisle, among them a 15th-century carved head.

The tower, which has been considerably restored, is of three stages, and has a modern saddle-back roof. The windows of the ground stage and bell-chamber are modern, and the ringing chamber is lighted by small loops on the north and south.

The font and pulpit are modern. There are some fragments of old painted glass reset in the south window of the vestry, and on the floor of the chancel are several mediaeval encaustic tiles.

This is difficult with a building built in the 12th century but in 2023 we replaced all our halogen spotlights with LEDs that will reduce our electricity consumption

Music and Worship

The tower contains a ring of three bells

In 1458 Alicia Terry, widow of John Terry, of Westbury, left by will 20 shillings to the "new bells" of Westbury church.

The tenor bell is c 1590 and made by WIlliam Watts of Bedford. The treble and second were both made by Henry Bagley of Chacombe in 1711, the former recast in 1898 by J Warner of London. The sanctus bell was cast in the 14th century and is listed as one of the oldest bells in Buckinghamshire

In 1847 there were 5 bells and a clock. The clock has vanished and only 3 bells remain. There is a legend that 2 of the bells were stolen and taken to Mixbury (but it is a legend!)

At the moment, the bells cannot be rung due to a build up of bird waste and an unstable frame

We are fund raising to try to address the bird waste and put in protective grilles

We would would love to put the bells back into working condition but this would be very expensive

The organ was built by Bevington & Sons of Soho in the 19th century

There is still the remains of the pump handle at the back but it is now fully electric!

We complement this with a sound system for when we don't have an organist and the sound system also provides microphones

We use the Book of Common Prayer at our evensongs during the summer. The morning services use other materials

The Benefice choir sing in the church when we have a joint service with the other churches in our area

Groups, Courses and Activities

We hold seasonal activities such as during Lent

Help for Visitors

We are planning to install this in the coming months

There are guidebooks on the table at the back. A small donation would be appreciated

We open the church daily from approximately dawn to dusk and welcome all visitors

Other Features

St Augustine's is within the local conservation area in Westbury village

There is a public footpath through the churchyard that leads to walks behind the village and this is used regularly by the community