There has been a Church in Norbury for well over 1000 years. North Burie (Norbury) was a Saxon Settlement and St. Chad, the first Bishop of Mercia, may have come from Lichfield to found a church here.
The current building was completed in the 14th Century, circa 1340, probably by Ralph de Botiller (d 1342), Lord of the Manor, whose tomb is in the chancel. Close by the tomb is the oldest Staffordshire brass memorial plate. The lady depicted is the wife of Ralph de Botiller (d 1359). The home in the 14th Century of the Bottilers and subsequent Lords of the Manor was on a moated site which the remains can still be seen close to Norbury Manor Farm (a short walk from Norbury Junction).
The church was constructed in the 'Decorated' Style, indicated by the design of the medieval windows, and other architectural features including the Sedilia- stone niches for seats for the clergy. The Church consists of a wide nave and a long chancel, constructed from local red sandstone. The high pitched, lofty timber framed nave roof is thought to be the original, although the chancel roof, is probably late 15th or 16th Century. The medieval church had a west tower, which was replaced in brick in 1759, possibly by William Baker (1705-71), architect of Audlem, although the new tower is said to have been built around older stonework at the base (and has 17th Century bells).
Restoration in 1826-29 (recorded on tablet on north vestry) included addition of north vestry and a west gallery, at a cost of £700. The gallery was later taken down and the present pews were installed later in the 19th Century. The east window was installed in 1873 to the design of Miss C.S. Burne.
SOURCES: N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, 1974, pp 211-13; B.T. Swinnerton, St Peter's Church, Norbury: A History, n.d; M. Reid, Built to Impress: St Peter's Church and the Moated Manor House, Norbury.