Hopton Church came about because of the generosity of the Earl of Shrewsbury. Hopton parishioners no longer had to walk the two miles to Salt. Mr J Mousley of Hopton provided a barn, which was converted into a simple chapel. In 1876 the first service was held. The chapel remains virtually the same as it did then, with simple facilities but a strong congregation.