We were unable to provide opening hours. Please contact the Church for more information
St. Peter’s church, Wrockwardine is thought to be of Saxon origin. The Domesday Book of 1068 refers to a church and a priest (Odelerius) in the settlement. There have been changes to the church over the centuries, but since the Perpendicular age (late 14th century) there have been few major alterations. The church building now consists of a nave and chancel, with north and south transepts. The north transept houses the Cludde chapel. The south chapel (the Pemberton chapel) is now used as a vestry. There is a fine tower with a ring of six bells, which have been ringing out over the parish for over 600 years.
Inside the church is an oak Chancel Screen, and fine Jacobean oak pulpit. There are three fonts in the church (and another said to be connected with the church but now in the ruined St. Chad’s church in Shrewsbury).
Apart from Wrockwardine village itself, which stands in a commanding position on high ground between the Wrekin and the north Shropshire plain, the parish also includes the communities of Admaston and Bratton (both now highly developed with much new housing), Long Lane, Allscott, Charlton, Leaton, Burcot, Cluddley and Orleton.
Wrockwardine parish registers date from 1591. The older ones are now housed in the County Record Office in Shrewsbury.
St. Peter’s Church of England (C) Primary School in Bratton is closely associated with the church, and there is a children’s nursery in Wrockwardine.
We welcome visitors to our church, which has a lively pattern of modern and traditional services. Visitors of all denominations are always welcome to share fully in communion.
St Peter’s Church
If you'd prefer to navigate using Google Maps please use the button below