History of St. Peter'sFounded
Irthlingborough Church was founded under the will of John & Joan Pyel, and erected around 1400, their memorial can be found in the John Pyel Chapel on the south side of the main altar.
Unusually amongst Northamptonshire churches Irthlingborough church has a lantern tower ( a feature normally associated with churches on the Lincolnshire and Cambridgeshire fens). This dates back to the days before the Nene valley was bridged or drained, in those days there was a river ford between Higham Ferrers and Irthlingborough, but due to the boggy nature of the undrained valley, fogs were frequent and much worse than today. To guide travelers across the Nene and marsh's monks built two Lantern Towers at Higham and Irtlhlingbrough and would light fires in the lantern's. Today the road is maintained and lit by the county council on behalf of the Department of Transport.
Recent developments have included a new organ over the west door; the addition of the Albert Underwood room replacing some of the North Transept, (providing much needed kitchen and toilet facilities); and a floor replacing one removed many years ago in the tower allowing the bells to be rung from a higher level and freeing the floor below for other uses, (principally the crí¨che).