Church of England Diocese of Leicester Christ Church Coalville

Opening

We were unable to provide opening hours. Please contact the Church for more information

(01530) 810 655

Getting here

The new parish church of Christ Church was built between 1836 and 1838, with a west tower, large nave, transepts, chancel and vestry added later in 1936. The naive is very spacious with a high roof and ornate design inlaid. The chancel has a large east window with some stained glass from 1875, there is also a large organ built into the east wall of the chantry.

The south transept houses a memorial chapel to those from Coalville who died during the wars. There is also a plaque to the 35 miners who died in the Whitwick mining disaster of 1898 on the north wall of the naive.

The vestry has two gravestones to James Stephenson (brother to the great engineer George Stephenson) and his daughter who died aged only fourteen.

The church has a rectory in the grounds plus some church rooms all still in use. The church is a centre of worship for the people of Coalville and holds regular services every weekend and throughout the week. 'Christ church may not be oldest or prettiest church in Leicestershire' says the warden, 'but it is a thriving church and has some interesting memorials'.

The building itself with its large open naive is spacious and worth a visit.


 

London Road
Coalville
LE67 3JA

If you'd prefer to navigate using Google Maps please use the button below