Architect: Samuel S Teulon
Listing: grade 2
THE NAME 'BENHILTON' is derived from 'Benehyll', which first appears in 15th century sources. The parish of Benhilton came into being by 'an Order of Council' on 15th September, 1863 which sub-divided the parish of Saint Nicholas, Sutton. Portions of the new parish were later ceded to the new 'districts' of Saint Barnabas (1881) and Saint Helier (1931).
OUR CHURCH BUILDING: The large and prominently positioned church of All Saints' was designed by renowned Victorian architect S. S. Teulon in the Gothic Revival style, and built between 1863 and 1866. It consists of a broad nave with circular clerestorey windows, chancel, north and south aisles, Lady Chapel, vestries with organ chamber above, imposing west tower, and north and south porches. The foundation stone of the church was laid in November 1863. Dominating the northern approach to Sutton High Street, it was opened under licence from the Bishop on 1st January, 1865, but it was not until the 3rd March, 1866 that it was consecrated by Bishop Charles Sumner, Bishop of Winchester. (The parish was then in Winchester Diocese.)
The construction is of brick with flint facing externally, natural stone dressings with trussed timber roof covered with plain clay tiles.
(In due course more historical material about our church building will be added.)