Fritton, or Freetown, probably derived its name from the fact that, in the Middle Ages, it was free from many of the feudal obligations to which other villages were subject.
Interesting buildings include The Old Rectory, The Hall (mid C16th ) and a number of cottages. The older buildings suggest that there has been little change in the shape and size of the settlement since at least 1800. The form of the village is mainly linear: around the Common, buildings are set amongst trees lining the large open space.
Fritton Common is a good example of the precious survival of old grassland supporting cowslips, meadow saxifrage, hay-rattle, cuckoo-flower and green-winged orchids. Common lands were of great value to the rural community in the Middle Ages; they were sources of clay for house-building and marling for fields, as the Fritton ponds indicate. These ponds (both natural and man-made) are very important to the wildlife of the area. The common is designated as a Site of Special Scientific Interest, and is currently used for village events and outdoor services in the summertime.
Fritton is now part of Morningthorpe civil parish, which has a combined population of 253 ( 2001 census)