ST. MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, ENBORNE
The earliest church of which anything remains was built in the mid 12th century. A simple structure, the arches and aisles were added at the end of the 12th century. The chancel was added between 1270 and 1300 - a date confirmed by the rare double piscina. The new church was consecrated in 1316 and was then in the Salisbury Diocese.
The east window and south aisle were probably rebuilt in the 15th century. A series of restorations were carried out in the late 19th century and when, in 1878, the whitewash was removed from the north side of the chancel, a wall painting of the Annunciation was discovered. Probably dating from the 14th century, it has been recently restored and is much admired. There are two bells and the Treble, dating from 1260, is one of the oldest in any English church. It bears the 'En borne cross' and the name Michael.
The First Battle of Newbury took place in the fields surrounding the church.