Church of England Diocese of Oxford Enborne

Opening

We were unable to provide opening hours. Please contact the Church for more information

Getting here

CHURCHES IN THE UNITED BENEFICE OF WEST WOODHAY WITH ENBORNE, HAMSTEAD MARSHALL, INKPEN, COMBE, AND KINTBURY WITH AVINGTON

http://www.walburybeaconbenefice.org.uk/

(The West Berks Cluster)

The United Benefice was formed in 1981, the Rector being the Revd Richard Jeans. In 1994 the living of the Benefice of Kintbury with Avington, was suspended and in 2006, the two parishes were added to the United Benefice of West Woodhay and formed the West Berks Cluster under the Team Rector, the Revd Julie Ramsbottom.

We are all rural parishes facing the pressures that all rural parishes endure. However, the Christian faith is strong and our churches stand as visible expressions of our faith.

Each church is set in beautiful surroundings, is a place of prayer and spiritual refreshment and holder of many valuable historical memories and monuments. 

ST. MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, ENBORNE

The earliest church of which anything remains was built in the mid 12th century. A simple structure, the arches and aisles were added at the end of the 12th century. The chancel was added between 1270 and 1300 - a date confirmed by the rare double piscina. The new church was consecrated in 1316 and was then in the Salisbury Diocese.

 The east window and south aisle were probably rebuilt in the 15th century. A series of restorations were carried out in the late 19th century and when, in 1878, the whitewash was removed from the north side of the chancel, a wall painting of the Annunciation was discovered. Probably dating from the 14th century, it has been recently restored and is much admired. There are two bells and the Treble, dating from 1260, is one of the oldest in any English church. It bears the 'En borne cross' and the name Michael. 

The First Battle of Newbury took place in the fields surrounding the church.  

Church Lane
Enborne
Newbury
RG20 0HB

If you'd prefer to navigate using Google Maps please use the button below