St. Mary’s Church at Great Canfield is a classical Norman church which was built in the period 1100 to 1150. It lies in the shadow of an old Motte and Bailey and it was perhaps built on the site of an earlier church.
It is an excellent example of a Norman building with its chancel arch and doorways. The wall painting of the Virgin and child in a recess at the east end is a 13th century painting of exceedingly good quality.
St Mary's os part of the Easters, Rodings and Great Canfield Group who share a full time Priest-in-Charge. For further information please see our website www.thesixparishes.org.uk.