The church of St Nicholas lies half a mile from the village of Godstone.
There has been a place of worship on the site since Saxon times when Church Lane was part of the Saxon village of Wolcnested, later Walkingstead.
The Normans built a church where St Nicholas church stands today. Nothing is known about the earliest church on the site except that it had typical Norman chevron moulding around the round-headed doors. Some original stones can still be seen in the rebuilt west doorway.
The current church building is the product of Gilbert Scott’s 13th century style restoration in 1870-71.