All Saints' History

The village of Rettendon is mentioned in the Doomsday Book (1086), and the earliest part of the church is the Norman south doorway and dates back to about 1200. The Nave and Chancel are from about the same period and with most of the rest of the church being build in the 15th Century. Some of the carving in the Chancel also dates back to this time but most of the furniture as we now have them was put in place when the church was restored in 1898. The tower was refurbished twice in the 20th Century. More recently, a kitchen was added in the Nave and disabled toilet at the base of the tower.

A couple of distinctive features about the church are the Humphrey memorial and the two story vestry.

The marble Humphrey Memorial completely fills the east wall of the north aisle and dates back to 1727. Edmund Humphrey also left and endowment which founded Rettendon Primary School.

The vestry is a 15th addition to the church and the upper story may well, at some time have been occupied by and Anchorite or similar religious.

There is also a memorial to Richard Cannon (1605) who founded a trust which still support those in need in the parish.