About the churchArchitect: Sir Charles Nicholson
Listing: grade C
Foundation Stone: Laid by Lord Forster on 17 July 1926
Consecrated : By the Bishop of Southwark on 28 January 1928
Built to the design of Sir Charles Nicholson in 1928. Vestry added in 1932. The west end remains unfinished.
The church comprises a nave of two bays and a chancel of three bays, with side aisles, north and south transepts, Lady Chapel at the south east corner, and a choir vestry within single storey extension on the south side.
Re-ordering in 1977 included a new sanctuary within the crossing and a corona by John Hayward, plus the enclosure of the east end sanctuary to create a clergy vestry.
In recent years the church has been re-ordered again. Modern seating has replaced the old pews. A glass partition has screened the main body of the church from the west end, creating an area for socialising.
Check out our website at: http://www.stjohnscatford.co.uk/
for further information and photos of the church