History of the church
Grindleton has had a Church since before the 16th century but on different sites to the one seen today.
Of the early Curates of the Church in Grindleton we know little until the Rev Roger Brierley was appointed around 1620. He advocated a simple form of Christian Worship, which in some ways was a forerunner to that of the Society of Friends, the Quakers. we come across him later, being tried at York for propounding false doctrines!
By 1709 a new Church was built above the present village high on the Fell side. Nothing remains of it except the foundation stone, which was built into the gateway of the present Church and the Font, which lies outside the main door of the present Church.
Our Church is named after St Ambrose of Milan, the Patron Saint of Beekeepers, of which there are still many - surrounded as we are by Damson Trees (there used to be a Jam-making factory in the village) and because the Foundation Stone of the present Church was laid on December 7th, the Feast day of St Ambrose. The present Church was opened in 1805, but nothing remains of the box pews or the huge pulpit which went in the reordering of 1895 when the choir stalls and altar were placed in a newly extended Chancel. The stencilling on the organ pipes probably covered this Chancel but now only a block remains in the vestry.