We were unable to provide opening hours. Please contact the Church for more information
The glory of St Mary's is its holy well, the only such one in the diocese. Down in a hollow, hidden from the road, is the site of the original Saxon 'church', a spring that became a font, and was later enclosed in the 9th century.
The Normans began a stone church higher up the slope, to which a fine, solid tower was added in 1510. The interior may have too many pews, but it has a fine, light screen, an 18th century altar, an attractive statue of Mary and Child, and a fine set of six bells, with an active team of ringers. There is much to satisfy eyes and ears. It is popular for weddings, and groups come to ring the bells.
The holy well was given an elegant octagonal covering in the 18th century. This has been recently restored, with a disabled access path winding down to it. With rich people now sinking bore holes, the flow of spring water is not what it once was, but it is much appreciated by many. Sprinkling and healing services occur each Saturday at Noon, from Easter to Michaelmas.
For all the regular and special services, do please go to our parish website.
If you'd prefer to navigate using Google Maps please use the button below