The Cathedral and Abbey Church of Saint Alban, the seat of the Bishop of St Albans since 1877, serves the Diocese of St Albans in the counties of Hertfordshire and Bedfordshire, the Borough of Luton and the London Borough of Barnet.
Alban, Britain's first martyr, was beheaded here in the third century.
A Benedictine monastery was founded on the site in 793 and in 1077 Paul of Caen began building the present Abbey. The focus of the building is the Shrine of Saint Alban, originally made in 1308.
Monastic life ended in 1539 but the building continued in use as a parish church. Today, it is a lively parish, with a large and active congregation, drawn both from our small geographical parish in the centre of St Albans, and from all over the city and beyond. The Very Reverend Dr Jeffrey John is Dean of the Cathedral and also Rector of the Parish of St Albans Abbey.
We welcome all who want to be part of our Christian community and invite you to worship with us or to visit the Abbey.
For more information and service times, please go to: www.stalbanscathedral.org