About UsThe origins of the church are thought to be Anglo-Saxon and there was certainty a church by 1223, when it is mentioned in the records of the diocese.
The substantial Perpendicular tower with dock, although restored in Victorian times, dates from somewhere between 1400 and 1650. It houses a set of six bells.
The oldest church monuments date from around the end of the fourteenth century. The tomb effigy in the North aisle is thought to be Sir William Tyrington, who was a guardian to the second Anselm de Guise and died in 1400.
St Botolph's has two brasses, the first, in memory of John Danvers, the Rector between 1396 and 1414, shows a priest and St John the Baptist. The second brass commemorates Sir John de Guise who died in 1501. This is rather larger and more complete.
The oldest woodwork in the church is a screen surrounding part of the North aisle, which has tracery and a cornice with a pattern rather like battlements, and dates from the fifteenth century. The pulpit contains some excellent carving, made up out of seventeenth century panels of carving from the Netherlands and framed by English work of the later seventeenth century. It was probably created as part of the nineteenth century renovations.
In the middle of the nineteenth century, very extensive repairs were made to the fabric of the church. As was common in churches at this time, so much was added that the inside of the church appears almost wholly Victorian. For example, the John Vaux Moore's memorial is in the high Victorian style.
A further major restoration took place from 1890 onwards and as part of this work a very fine Nativity window was put into the South aisle.