Facilities and features
The church of All Saints was re-erected in 1857, chiefly by subscription of the landed proprietors of the parish and the adjoining hamlet of Lower Stondon, and is a building of the sandstone found on the Wrest estate, in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, north transept porch and a tower on the south side containing 1 bell; cast at Hertford in 1819: the transept was built by Trinity College, Cambridge, for the use of the inhabitants of Lower Stondon; of the old church, a Late Norman structure, there remain the shaft of Norman piscine, c. 1150; the font, a stone altar slab with crosses, under the present table; a memorial, c. 1680, in the middle of the chancel floor; an image bracket, and the inner door of tower or main entrance, c. 1250; the former chancel screen was converted into altar rails, a pulpit and reading desks: the stained east, window was the gift of W. Brooks esq.; and there is a memorial window to Robert Long esq. churchwarden, who died August 1, 1868, and another to the late George Lines esq. The register of marriages dates from the year 1684, burials from 1683.