We were unable to provide opening hours. Please contact the Church for more information
St Clement's is a friendly and growing church that welcomes people of all ages. We are part of the Cheshunt Team Ministry and we aim to be an inclusive church, to worship together, to support one another and to reach out into our local communities.
We meet together to worship God, to pray, to listen, to learn and to share fellowship.
Our website address is:- stclement-turnford.hol.es
PLEASE SEE OUR UPDATED TIMES OF SERVICES AND WORSHIP OVER THE CHRISTMAS PERIOD - WE WELCOME YOU.
The Church of St Clement was built in 1898 on land forming part of the estates of John Earley Cook, and of particular note is the fact that the former St Clement's C of E School (now .Churchfield C of E (VA) Primary School & Nursery) was constructed in 1893 - prior to construction of the Church building.
Edwin Macleod Carey observed in 1911......
"To meet the needs of the increased population at Turnford, a mission service was held in the schoolroom under the Superintendence of the Vicar of Cheshunt, assisted by his Curate every Sunday evening with very satisfactory results in so far that they led to the erection of St.Clement's Church by the liberality of the late John Earley Cook who also gave the site on which it was built, and as we learn from a brass on the east wall of the church
In memory of his wife and his parents and other members of his family
interred at Cheshunt Churchyard and in the thankful remembrance of many mercies
vouchsafed to him. This Church was erected in the 76th year of his age by God's
humble and truthful servant John Earley Cook
The following memorial brass was affixed a few years after
In memory of John Earley Cook of Knowle Hill Cobham Surrey
Born May 9th 1823 - Died February 2nd 1904
"Trust in the Lord and do good"
Psalm 37 verse 3 Bible version
The Church was consecrated and dedicated to St.Clement by the Right Reverend Dr.Festing, Bishop of St.Albans on the twenty third day of November, and thereafter became a chapel of ease to the Parish Church of Cheshunt .
It is a well built red brick church with stone window frames, and at present consists of a nave and apsidal chancel of very good proportions for a future extension when necessary. Eventually the Vicar of Cheshunt and one other donor John Earley Cook purchased choir stools for the use of the choir.
Altogether the church presents a handsome appearance and affords a good scope for decoration at Christmas time and Easter, and at Harvest Festival.
The first Curate in charge was the Reverend Grindley.(MA) and was succeeded by Reverend C.H.Browne.(BA) and who still officiates "
From an original transcription by Peter.E.Rooke
It is pleasing to confirm that the words of E.M.Carey in the above last but one paragraph are still strongly echoed today as they were in 1911 with the wonderful decorative displays provided by our community throughout our Church calendar.
A very warm welcome is extended to all who care to join our Worship and any of the activities which take place from time to time, do feel free to join us at one of our many services.
If you'd prefer to navigate using Google Maps please use the button below