A Church Untouched
Our lovely village church, St Martin's, is a typical Norfolk perpendicular style building that dates from 1349, as does College Farm (http://collegefarmnorfolk.co.uk/) close by, once housing the five priests of this collegiate church. The church was founded by local magnate Sir John Shardlowe, probably in the hope of winning some divine protection from the Black Death. Even in Tudor times Thompson was off the beaten track and although many of it's neighbours were 'improved' over the years St Martin's was left untouched, and, like the village, all the better for it. There is a complete set of poppy head pews dated 1632 & 1625, the box pew of Futter family c.1630, a panelled & painted chancel screen c.1330 and a building of national importance for interior woodwork to name but a few of the treasures at St Martin's.
We welcome visitors to St Martin's and to the services held there. Our weekly united service rotates between the six local churches. Information can be obtained from either of our two ChurchWardens. Katharine Wolstenholme 01953 483318 or Jo Connolly 01953 488099 or by looking on our website http://www.stmartinsthompson.co.uk/ where you'll find more information & news about St Martin's.