The church us usually open from about 9am to dusk, but if the church is locked please ring our keyholder, Pam Spacey, on 01953.483.711
A Church Untouched
Our lovely village church,St Martin's, is a typical Norfolk perpendicular style building that dates from 1349,as does College Farm close by,once housing the five priests of this collegiate church. The church was founded by local magnates the Shardlows,probably in the hope of winning some divine protection from the Black Death. As Thompson even in Tudor times was off the beaten track, where it's neighbours were 'improved' over the years,much of St Martin's is untouched,and like the village all the better for it. Complete set of poppy head benches dated 1632 and 1625, box pew of Futter family c.1630, panelled and painted chancel screen c.1330 and a building of national importance for interior woodwork to name but a few.
We welcome visitors to St Martins and to the services held there. Our weekly united service rotates between the six local churches. Information can be obtained from either of our two Churchwardens - see contact information below.
In May 2017 Revd. Adrian Bell from Swaffham was appointed by the Bishop of Lynn as our Interim part-time Parish Priest until a new Priest in Charge can be appointed in 2020.
Adrian can be contacted on 01760.627.037 or by email on [email protected]
Adrian is available when required but usually tries to have Monday off. It is helpful to telephone or email him first to make an appointment to see him, but he always tries to make himself available in an emergency.
Adrian & his wife Marian are here to serve and care for us all and he is always pleased to visit people and attend occasions. If you want a visit please let him know.
Other contact details are:
Jo Connolly 01953.488.099
Katharine Wolstenholme 01953,483.318
Henry Hardiment 01953.488.911
For further information please visit our dedicated church website:
If you'd prefer to navigate using Google Maps please use the button below