Safeguarding Children and Young People and Vulnerable Adults
If you have a concern about the safety of someone or the actions of someone working with children or vulnerable adults, please speak to someone:
Our parish safeguarding representative is:
Mrs Rosemary Barber 01363 773419
Alternatively you may contact The Rector, Rev Matthew Tregenza (01363 894038).
If you are a young person and you feel unhappy about something that is happening to you, you can call Childline on 0800 1111
The following may also be contacted:
Diocesan Safeguarding Team – https://exeter.anglican.org/resources/safeguarding/safeguarding-team/
Concerns about Children – Devon MASH (Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub) – 0345 155 1071
Concerns about Adults – Devon – Care Direct – 0345 155 1007
Domestic Abuse – Devon helpline for professionals and individuals – 0345 155 1074
Rape Crisis – Devon – 0808 802 9999
We take our responsibility to safeguard the welfare of all those with whom the church comes into contact very seriously. To ensure this we:
1. Have safeguarding policies for Adults at Risk and Children and Young People. All the policies are reviewed annually.
2. Safeguarding is an agenda item at every Parochial Church Council meeting which monitors and evaluates the policies and procedures. All churchwardens and other PCC members are DBS checked and all PCC members have undertaken safeguarding training.
3. We have job descriptions for all roles in the church, whether staff or volunteers, and everyone is made aware of safeguarding policies. All those working with adults at risk or children and young people complete a volunteer agreement form and we insist on the relevant training, DBS checks and references.
4. Records are kept of all those who have applied for Disclosure and Barring Scheme clearance and this is renewed every 5 years in line with Diocesan policy.
5. Anyone in a leadership role or working with Adults at Risk or Children & Young people is expected to undertake Safeguarding Awareness training, at the appropriate level. Records are kept and refresher training is undertaken every 3 years.
6. The name of the safeguarding officer in the church is displayed in the church porch, and the safeguarding policies are available in the church.
As a church, we are committed to keeping everyone safe and welcoming all.