The church of St Peter’s is Grade II listed and was built as a Chapel of Ease in 1778 for the manor house of the Buckland Estate. It fell into disrepair in the early part of the nineteenth century and was reopened after restoration in 1890. The churchyard is still in use for burials. The church is kept open all day and is regularly visited by walkers who from the comments in the visitors’ book appreciate its peace and quiet.
A service is normally held in the church every Sunday, either a Sunday Worship Service or Holy Communion with a joint service in one of the churches of the Benefice when there are five Sundays in the month. We celebrate the four country services of Plough Sunday, Rogationtide, Lammastide and Harvest Thanksgiving. We have one regular organist and two services a month are led by lay members of the congregation incorporating an audio recording of the Rev Mark Neave’s sermon for that week. The church is a Fairtrade Church and supports Christian Aid; Médecins Sans Frontières; The Mission to Seafarers; British Legion; The Farming Community Network; Prison Fellowship; Coleridge Community Bus; Kingsbridge and Saltstone Caring; the Kingsbridge Food Bank; and St Luke's Hospice.