Church of England Diocese of Salisbury Shillingstone

About Us

The Grade 1 listed church is one of only 22 churches dedicated to the Holy Rood (the Holy Cross) in England. It is a 12th Century building remodelled by the Victorians in 1888.

Holy Rood is a well-loved church with a wide range of services catering for most liturgical tastes. There is a keen band of bell ringers, a choir, and a loyal band of volunteers who tend the church and its grounds.

A few years ago the Church purchased the nearby Village School building and has turned it into a multi purpose Church centre. The Centre is used for informal services, church social events, Bible groups as well as community outreach events like coffee mornings and Lent lunches. There is a Post Office facility twice a week and a lending library too.

The CofE primary school moved to the other end of the village but retains very strong links with the church, using it for twice termly services and “church days”. Church members have a strong presence on the governing body of the school, visit and help there regularly and attend Tuesday School worship. There is also a residential school for severely autistic children in the village called The Forum and a Benefice Pastoral Assistant is chaplain there.

Church Wardens

Mrs. Lesley Gasson - 01258 861690

PCC Secretary

Mrs. Anne Powell - 01258 861397

For service times, news and information on outreach, life events and discipleship across the Benefice, please visit https://okefordbenefice.org/