Church of England Diocese of Salisbury Oakdale St George

About Us

St George's, Oakdale, Poole is, in many respects a very modern church being only some 59 years old but it is one with a rich community history.

Originating in 1932 the first church called St George's in Oakdale is now the Oakdale Library, operated by Poole Council. Before this the people of Oakdale had an old army hut! However, within 20 years the rapidly expanding population of Oakdale meant that a much larger building was required and over the next 7 years fund raising and much generosity from parishoners meant that the foundation stone for the current church in Darby's Lane was laid on 25 April 1959 by the Maurice, Bishop of Sherborne; consecration followed rapidly in July of 1960.

The unique and striking interior of the roof at St George's is truly a sight to behold, symbolising palm trees spreading out across the main body of the church on cantilevered timber trusses, it creates a strong Anglican theme. Created by architects Robert Potter and Richard Hare it proved a radical design back in 1960. It is fitting therefore that in 1996 English Heritage chose to list the church as a Grade II listed building for it's post-war architectural distinction.

St George's is also very fortunate to have a pipe organ of some distinction which provides a fabulous sound for all the services and is especially impressive when listening to our excellent choir- with the number of choirs in the local area being small in number, the success and drive of the Choirmaster and Choirmistress in retaining and encouraging such a successful choir is indeed impressive.

The Parish Centre of St George's comprises two multi-use halls which have recently been fully refurbished to a high standard with excellent catering facilities - available for private hire, parties and meetings. The halls are an excellent community resource not just for Oakdale, but also for the wider conurbation.

We are particularly keen to get to know our local community whether they are regular church attenders or not. With this in mind we relocated our Parish Offices to the hall complex and can now greet our users and respond to their enquiries much better.

We look forward to meeting your and your family and friends, whether for a Sunday morning service or for a private function in our halls.