The name of Mosterton is derived from the original name of Mortestorne. The Doomsday Book confirms that there was a Chapel in Mortestorne in 1086, situated on the opposite side of the road from Chapel Court. The Chapel was taken down in 1832 but the site of the Chapel and Graveyard is still visible in the lane opposite to Chapel Court Farm. Several gravestones can still be seen there, marking the position of interments. The present St Mary‘s Church was built in 1833 to a design by Edmund Pearce, which is his only recorded church in the county.
St Mary's Mosterton is part of the Beaminster Area Team Ministry which covers 50 square miles of beautiful rural West Dorset. The team consists of 14 individual parishes plus the chapel in the grounds of Mapperton House. Our worship shows a wonderful variety of styles ranging from services from the Book of Common Prayer to the child-centred Messy Church, with music a vital part of our activities.
You can find more information about our services, events, activities, and contact details via our website: beaminsterteamchurches.org