St Mary's Mosterton is part of the Beaminster Area Team Ministry which covers 50 square miles of beautiful rural West Dorset. The team consists of 14 individual parishes plus the chapel in the grounds of Mapperton House. Our worship shows a wonderful variety of styles ranging from services from the Book of Common Prayer to the child-centred Messy Church, with music a vital part of our activities.
The name of Mosterton is derived from the original name of “MORTESTORNE”. The Doomsday Book confirms that there was a Chapel in Mortestorne in 1086, situated on the opposite side of the road from Chapel Court. The Chapel was taken down in 1832 but the site of the Chapel and Graveyard is still visible in the lane opposite to Chapel Court Farm. Several gravestones can still be seen there, marking the position of internments.
The present St Mary‘s Church was built in 1833 (to a design by Edmund Pearce, which is his only recorded church in the county)