Charlton: St John the Baptist
From the outside, St John the Baptist Church, Charlton, is the least attractive church in the Benefice. However, inside it is light and airy. The Church was built in about 1839 in a 12th century style to replace a smaller church dating from the 14th century located in the centre of the village of Charlton. The position of the new Church - at the crossroads of the current A30 - was chosen to make the Church more accessible to worshippers in Ludwell and the Coombes, whilst continuing to be close enough for those in Charlton.