Related Churches within the area and contact information from external sources such as Crockfords can be found below.
Donhead: St Andrew
Donhead St Andrew is a parish of steep hills, streams, woodland, pasture and high chalk downs with sudden wonderful views. There is no real village centre so the foci for the community are the church and the pub. The houses and farms are scattered along the winding lanes with cottages, some enlarged and modernised, and residences dating from the middle ages to the present.
The Parish Church, dedicated to St Andrew, is situated in the valley beside the river Nadder. There has been a church on this site serving as a centre for Christian worship for at least a thousand years. It is believed that the first church may have been built soon after the founding of Shaftesbury Abbey in about 875. The tall narrow arch leading from the chancel to the vestry is Saxon work from about the 9th or 10th century. The present church is 13th century though much altered in the 19th century and is built of the local green sandstone.
Donhead: St Mary the Virgin
St. Mary's Church was built by the 12th century. The architecture of the church covers the 12th to 13th centuries, with 19th century restoration. It is built of dressed limestone with a tiled roof. The gabled porch is 14th century. All of the chapel and aisle windows are square-headed and the three stage west tower is 15th century. The nave has a five bay wagon roof and a 19th century Perpendicular style screen filling the arch. The north arcade has three double chamfered arches and there is a restored late medieval lean-to roof in the aisle. The chancel contains a 13th century style east window and a 19th century wooden pointed barrel-vaulted roof.
East Knoyle: St Mary
The Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin, a Grade 1 listed building, has been at the heart of parish life for over a thousand years. The oldest part of the structure is the chancel, on the outside north wall of which there is pre-Norman 'blind arcading'. The nave dates from the 13th century and the tower from about 1450. The six bells are rung as regularly as possible. The plasterwork in the chancel is unique. It was designed by Dr Wren, a 17th century rector, whose famous son Christopher was born in the village.
Sedgehill: St Catherine
Sedgehill is the smallest of the Benefice parishes, and as a village, very spread out. Anyone visiting for the first time invariably gets lost. But we try to make up for this by organizing lots of events that bring us - and anyone else who wants to join in - together. Events that have varied from Bangers and Mash evenings, BBQs, Christmas film shows (two classics - It's a Wonderful Life, and White Christmas), an amazing flower festival, tennis tournaments to name but a few.
Dedicated to St Catherine in 1395, St. Catherine's is an understated, beautiful church with wonderful views to the north. It really does seem as if the peace of the Lord is with us when we congregate there.
Semley: St Leonard
A parish church has stood in Semley since Norman times. However the present church is Victorian. The remnants from the older buildings are the Norman font and a thirteenth century effigy of a priest, which are both situated close to the north door. The rebuilding of the church was begun in 1866 by the then Rector of Semley. He took down the old chancel and built a new one entirely at his own expense. The rest of the building was demolished in 1874 and was rebuilt around the new chancel in Perpendicular style. The Church contains some fine stained glass; this includes a spectacular window in the Lady Chapel designed by Henry Haig in memory of WPC Yvonne Fletcher who was tragically shot while on duty at the Libyan Embassy in St James Square, London and died on the 17th April 1984.
The tower is a prominent feature with a small spire in the northwest corner. There is a fine set of 6 bells (one of the heaviest rings in the country) which are in good working order.
Crockfords contact details
If you've spotted any issues in the Crockfords data, please contact the church by selecting the following link.Report an Issue
If you've spotted any issues in the contact information, please contact the church by selecting the following link.Report an Issue
Most churches are “Excepted Charities” and are therefore not registered with the Charity Commission. You can download a PDF that includes your church name, address and church code. This PDF, which is an extract from the Church of England’s database of churches, can serve as a certificate for churches requiring proof of their charity status when registering for online and card-based giving. Click on the download button below and fill in the short form. You will then be emailed the certificate as a PDF.