St Swithun’s Church Allington was built between 1825 and 1827. It replaced the original, much smaller, village church which was about a mile north of the present building. Architecturally St Swithun’s is a fine example of Georgian style.
Even in the early years of this century some seeds of the “Oxford Movement” (an Anglican Catholic revival) were beginning to flourish in the form and furnishing of its services. Certainly by the end of the Great War, vestments, incense and Reservation were in general use. St Swithun’s remained an independent parish until the formation of the Team Ministry in 1976. The tradition of the church’s worship is Anglo-Catholic or ‘High Church’ with incense used most Sundays.
The focus of our worship is the Eucharist which is sung on Sundays, with incense forming an important element in our Anglo-Catholic style of worship, and there is also a regular 8am service on Sundays, and on every Thursday, at 10am, the latter being especially well-attended. Along with the other Churches in the Team, St. Swithun’s welcomes both male and female clergy. The church has a small band of servers. Currently there are no family services, but there is an informal crèche area at the back of the church. The organist-choirmaster trains the small adult choir to produce the music for the Sung Eucharist, and for Evensong, which is held monthly.
There is a well-equipped Hall to the rear of the Church which includes a Sacristy, robing area for choir and servers, kitchen, washing and toilet facilities. This amenity is a great asset to the church and local community and is very well used. If you wish to hire the hall, please contact Mrs. Verena Doyle on 01308 427759