St Nicholas, West Pennard
- About Us
- Find Us
- Contact Us
- Services and Events
- Features and Facilities
- More Info
St Nicholas Parish Church welcomes you to worship with us. We offer a broad range of services as below but please see our schedule of events for specific dates and for special events such as coffee mornings, Lent courses, Summer Fetes, and Christmas and Easter season services. We host marriages, baptisms, and funerals when required. Please contact us with any questions or requests.
Contact Details: Contact Rev. Christopher Hopkins, Priest in Charge at 01458 851681
or John Norris, Church Warden at 01458-851131 or email Benefice office via firstname.lastname@example.org
Location of Church : Church Lane, West Pennard, Somerset BA6 8NT
Upcoming Special Event Concert in Church - Friday 23rd September at 7:30PM
"Gentlemen of Wells" - Tickets £20 - Please send email to contact.
This Week's \Worship Services
1) Thursday Morning Prayer 28th July - 9 AM) Service conducted by lay people .(30 minutes)
2) Benefice Holy Communion using Modern Language . - (14th August - Butleigh (with Archdeacon Nicola Sullivan)
Other Benefice Services in August at 10AM
21st August - West Bradley
28th August - Lottisham
Regular Workship Service Schedule (except August; special schedules TBA for Easter and Christmas)
1) Matins using the Book of Common Prayer - Usually 1st Sunday at 11AM
2) Family Service with Holy Communion - Modern Language service at 11AM. Children are the centre of this service and play key roles. Usually held the Second Sunday of the month
3) Evening Prayer using the Book of Common Prayer. - Usually held 3rd Sunday at 6:30 PM in Summer (April to September) and 4PM in winter (October to March)
4) Holy Communion using Modern Language at 11AM- Usually held the fourth Sunday of the month at 11AM using modern language but the service sometimes held at 8AM with BCP..
5) Holy Communion on Fifth Sunday of month when occurring held in one of the churches of the Brue Benefice at 10AM. Please see schedule of events for details. -
6) Thursday Morning Prayer Service conducted by lay people at 9 AM.(30 minutes)
7) In August, only one service (Holy Communion wiht modern language) is held in the Benefice as above
Building and Features
We have parking and a toilet and kitchen and are wheel chair accessible, have an audio loop and are well behaved dog friendly.
The church consists of a chancel, cleresteried nave, aisles, south porch, and west tower with a short timber spire. The fabric is of a late medieval date but is likely to have been built in several stages. The north arcade of four bays is quite regular. By contrast, the south arcade is irregular; the easternmost arch being much wider than northern arches. This positioning suggests that there may have been a transceptal chapel before the aisle was added. The three remaining arches vary greatly in span suggesting that the design might have been occasioned by necessary adjustments. The original tower may have been higher but due to decay was shortened by necessity The rood screen has largely survived from the 16th century.
The churches registers begin in 1538 which was the first year they were required to be kept.
Please visit our wikipedia page for a more complete description of the church and pictures of the building and its features.
You are seeing this message instead because your browser has not loaded the program code to produce the map.
This could be for a variety of reasons, including:
at The Old Hall House, Ham Street,
Baltonsborough, Somerset BA6 9PX
Vacancy, Pries in Charge
Office is staffed on Thursdays and Fridays only.
- Regular Services
Wheelchair accessible toilets
Designated wider space(s) for people with a disabled parking badge
Assistance dogs (eg guide dogs, hearing dogs, dogs for the disabled) welcome
|Open during daylight hours|
Foodbank or foodbank collection point
The current editor is: John Norris