Alberbury was described by the great 19th century historian, R.W. Eyton, as a place of “surpassing interest”.
The tower is saddleback by design thought to be related to the fact that the church is situated where countries, nationalities and dioceses meet.
The churchyard cross has recently been refurbished, funded by Historic England due to it’s significance, originally being a shrine, but since there has been a sundial substituted at the head of the monument in the 18th century.
The roof of the nave is attributed to the 15th century and is reputed to be a spectacular example of this period.
The large south chapel dates from 1325-30 and is known as the Loton Chapel because of its association with the Leighton family at the adjacent Loton Park. The stained glass in the west window, subject being the angelic host, flanked by the Leighton shields, was designed by Barbara Leighton and influenced by Burne-Jones.
There is an aperture, at the east end of the south wall of the nave which is recorded as being the “Leper’s squint”, a place to facilitate those with leprosy receive communion without being part of the congregation.