We were unable to provide opening hours. Please contact the Church for more information
St. John the Baptist is the only Church in the village of Pitney in Somerset. Although the exact date of build remains unknown, aspects of the construction date from the 13th and 14th Centuries. Various restorative actions were completed in the 15th and 16th Centuries and in the 19th Century the current altar table, rails and choir stalls were added to the Chancel. More extensive restoration took place in 1875 resulting in the removal of a gallery and the North door. During this work a Saxon cast-bronze openwork brooch was discovered. This became known as the 'Pitney Brooch' and now resides in the British Museum. In the late 20th Century Tower restoration was completed and in 2014 the support structure for the bells was overhauled, a fifth bell added and the whole 'tuned'. St. John's is therefore in 'fine fettle' and is a beautiful example of the quintessential English Parish Church.
If you'd prefer to navigate using Google Maps please use the button below