Facilities and features
Click on the tags below to learn more about each.
There is a toilet in the Vestry to the left of the main body of the church.
The toilet is accessible for wheel chair users.
A wheel chair ramp for the main (South) entrance is available if required.
A hearing loop is installed.
Parish Church (Anglican). C14 and C15, mostly rebuilt and restored in 1871-72 by Ewan Christian (replacing a church of 1827 by Edward Bridges). West tower, nave with clerestorey, north and south aisle, south porch, chancel and vestry. Coursed rubble with freestone dressings; slate roofs behind embattled parapets.
An unusual west tower of 3 stages with set-back buttresses; embattled parapet with blank arcading and an image niche in the centre of each side, pinnacles; 2-light bell chamber openings with ogee heads to the tracery; 2-light windows on second stage have transoms and ogee heads to the lights, tracery of small quatrefoiled circles in spandrels to lower lights and louvres to upper lights; projecting polygonal stair turret at north-east, blank arcading, embattled parapet and spire.
Nave: three 2-light windows with cusped heads to the lights. North and south aisles: 2- and 3-light windows with thin tracery; rainwater heads dated 1871; lean to roofs. Projecting gabled south porch with diagonal buttresses.
Interior. 3 bay arcade with hollow chamfered arches and octagonal shafts. C14 tower arch of 4 chamfered orders on a semi-octagonal responds; ogee headed doorway to stair turret on north pier. All fittings are 1871-72. Font, pulpit and reredos are of elaborately detailed marble with figure scenes on the pulpit and reredos.
Monuments. Chancel: Roger Soudon, died 1703, ashlar, Corinthian columns on gadrooned bases, half-relief of Soudon in clerical dress, cherubs and skull below; Thomas Morgan, died 1723, marble and ashlar, fluted columns and heraldry.
Tower: Mary Morgan, died 1710, baroque, ashlar, 2 Corinthian columns on grotesque corbels, segmental pediment and heraldry; Mary Morgan, died 1701). North aisle: Cordelia Wilkins, died 1774, by Allen of Bristol, marble inscribed tablet, urn and heraldry.
(N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).
Music and Worship
St George's has 6 bells, tenor 18-3-14.
We usually have 2 or 3 concerts per year, advertised in the Calendar.
Groups, Courses and Activities
Help for Visitors
A helpful set of notes describing the stained glass windows is available on the table at the back of the church.
Pill and Easton-in-Gordano are Fair Trade villages.
The Church Hall (across a football field from the church) or just the Parlour can be booked for regular or casual use. Charges are very reasonable. Own car park. Contact Wendy Moncrieff on 01275-373481 for more information.