Please check service times if there is a fifth Sunday in the month as all six churches in the Benefice share a joint service at one of the churches. We also have extra activities at times such as Christmas and Easter. All details can be found on our website 'Benefice of East Lonsdale'.
St Wilfrid's church, Melling is a Grade 1 listed building. The earliest fabric in the church dates from around 1300 or earlier but as it is near the earthworks of a motte-and-bailey castle, it is possible that a church has been on the site since the 10th century. Most of the present church dates from the later 15th Century with a restoration in 1763 when the clerestory was added and further restoration was carried out in the 19th century. A chapel known as the Morley Chapel was created as a chantry from a pre-existing chapel by John Morley who fought at Agincourt in 1415. It was restored as a chapel in 1994-95. The west window on the south aisle dates from around 1300. This window includes a fragment of medieval stained glass. The organ was built in 1891 by JW Walker of London.