There has been a church on this site since at least 1557; the current church is at the heart of a thriving, if scattered, community centered on the very small village of Lowgill, which lies amongst the fells forming the northern boundary of the Forest of Bowland in Lancashire.
The Church of the Good Shepherd, as depicted in the East window and also in the more recent altar frontal, reflects the farming landscape in which it sits. Regular worship takes many forms, varying from the traditional book of Common Prayer to Pancake and Jazz services and those held in conjunction with the local church school to mark the major Christian festivals.
We aim to be a musical church with music-themed services and concerts that are enjoyed by the wider community.
Recently we were awarded the Child Friendly Church Award for the commitment of the congregation to the children of the community. A dedicated group of volunteers, including a number from other denominations, run an after-school club and lead Open the Book assemblies at Tatham Fells CE Primary School. We have an effective and enjoyable fund raising programme.
Before the times of Covid restrictions we were lucky enough to have a service at our church every Sunday. In summer time our service of Evensong is at 7pm and in winter time at 2.15pm. On the fifth Sunday in the month all six churches in our Benefice would normally share a joint service at one of the churches. We also have extra activities at times such as Christmas and Easter. All current details can be found on our website.