St Bartholomew, Corsham
St. Batholomew (Corsham) is one of 5 Churches in the team ministry. The others are St. Anne (Bowden Hill), St. Cyriac (Lacock), St. John the Baptist (Gastard) and St. Philip and St. James (Neston).
This place has been a centre of Christian worship for over one thousand years. There was certainly a Saxon church on this site long before the Normans invaded England in 1066 A.D. It is recorded that William the Conqueror granted the church at Corsham to the Abbey of St. Stephen at Caen in Normandy. The present building dates from the middle of the twelfth century, but there have been many changes and additions since then, ending with a major restoration in Victorian times. Church open during daylight hours - free guide available.
St John the Baptist
St. John the Baptist (Gastard) is one of 5 Churches in the team ministry. The others are St. Bartholomew (Corsham), St. Cyriac (Lacock), St. Anne (Bowden Hill) and St. Philip and St. James (Neston).
On Sir Thomas Fowler’s death in the Boer War it was his resolute (somewhat eccentric) sister Jean who for many years managed Gastard House and estate. Whatever her strengths and shortcomings may have been, one action must stand as a lasting tribute: she made possible the erection of St John the Baptist Church, Gastard. Motivated by Christian zeal and a desire to build a memorial to her father, Sir Robert Nicholas, and her brother Sir Thomas, she and her family generously supplemented the nucleus of money obtained from fund raising efforts in the village.
She also donated the plot of land on which the church was erected. On Thursday, 11th July 1912, in the presence of a large company, the formal ceremony of laying the foundation stone took place. Miss Jean Fowler herself laid the cornerstone bearing the date 1912.
St Philip & St James
St Philip and St James is one of 5 Churches in the team ministry. The others are St. Bartholomew (Corsham), St. Cyriac (Lacock), St. Anne (Bowden Hill),and St. John the Baptist (Gastard)
Construction of St Philip and St James’ Church started in 1866, shortly after the adjacent school had opened.
In 1985 a long-awaited scheme to adapt the building for modern needs was finally undertaken (records show that the scheme had first been formally discussed in 1972!), resulting in internal reordering to create a vestibule, kitchen and cloakroom, choir vestry, and a large upstairs meeting room.
St. Cyriac is one of 5 Churches in the team ministry. The others are St. Bartholomew (Corsham), St. Anne (Bowden Hill), St. John the Baptist (Gastard) and St. Philip and St. James (Neston).
Although it is possible that there was a small Saxon church here, it is definite that a Norman church was built towards the end of the 11th century by the two landowners, Edward of Salisbury (Lacock) and William of Eu (Lackham). The dedication to St. Cyriac commemorates a favourite Norman saint. On level ground not far from the church Edward’s great, great granddaughter Ela, Countess of Salisbury, founded her nunnery in 1229. The church itself is full of later monuments to the Baynards, Bonhams, Crokes, Sharingtons, Talbots and Awdreys. In the 14th century there was some rebuilding of the church, remains of which can be seen in the lower part of the tower and some Decorated tracery in a north transept window. Lacock became prosperous through the wool and cloth trade and was advantageously sited on the London to Bath road. It was this prosperity that brought about the great rebuilding of the church in the 15th century and created the Perpendicular church on a cruciform plan that we see today. An outstanding 2 bay north east chapel was built by the Bonham and Croke families and there is an unusual east chancel arch window of 6 lights, which is of an unusual shape caused by the intrusion of the chancel arch.
See more at https://www.stcyriacs.org.uk
If you've spotted any issues in the contact information, please contact the church by selecting the following link.Report an Issue
Proof of charity status
Most churches are “Excepted Charities” and are therefore not registered with the Charity Commission. You can download a PDF that includes your church name, address and church code. This PDF, which is an extract from the Church of England’s database of churches, can serve as a certificate for churches requiring proof of their charity status when registering for online and card-based giving. Click on the download button below and fill in the short form. You will then be emailed the certificate as a PDF.