A Grade II listed building, parts of the parish church of St Mary the Virgin, Orlestone date back to the 11th century. Normans built it in the late 12th or early 13th centuries, with further alterations in the next 100 years. In 1552, there is a record of three bells in the tower, of which John Cole recast the tenor in 1591 and John Wilnar recast the remaining two in 1631. In 1799, Edward Hasted described St Mary’s church as a ‘very small building, consisting of one isle and one chancel, having a very low pointed steeple of wood at the west end, in which are three bells’. In 1884, the Victorian architect Mr T Blashill heavily restored the Orlestone church.
The Parochial Church Council has adopted the safeguarding policies and procedures of the Church of England. In particular we are committed to:
The safeguarding of all children, young people and vulnerable adults.
Carefully selecting and training paid and voluntary staff who might come into contact with children or vulnerable adults, using the Disclosure and Barring service amongst other tools, to check their suitability.
Responding without delay to every complaint made which suggests that an adult, child or young person may have been harmed.
Cooperating fully with the police, local authority and any other appropriate statutory body in any investigation.
Ministering appropriately to anyone, child or adult, who as experienced abuse.
Extending pastoral care to those known to have offended against children or vulnerable adults whilst ensuring that children and vulnerable adults are protected from them.
We have appointed: Lucy Whateley as Coordinator: Tel: 01233 733394
Churchwarden: Val Showell Tel: 01233 733502
Any child wishing to talk about a problem can contact ChildLine on 0800 1111.
Any parent or carer wishing to talk about parenting problems can contact Family Lives on 0808 800 2222.
The Parish Safeguarding Coordinator is available to speak with adults or children.