The Great Orton War Memorial, situated within St. Giles' churchyard, was awarded ‘Listed Building Status’ as part of Historic England’s First World War Commemoration project. The memorial list entry number is 1458612. The memorial was listed at Grade II on 6th September 2018.
The memorial was listed for the following principal reasons:
• Historic interest — as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
• Architectural interest — as a simple but well-executed granite, sandstone and bronze composite boulder memorial; and
• Group value — with the Grade II*-listed Church of St. Giles, and the Grade II-listed The Old Rectory, and the Grade II-listed Cross House Farm.
History: The memorial was erected in 1920 following the First World War was raised as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in WWI. They included: Lieutenant Richard Parker Gilbanks BA (Trinity Ox), Pte George William Dalzell, Pte Thomas Gilbertson, Pte Joseph Gilbertson, Pte George Norman, Pte William Barnes, Pte Thomas William Pattinson and Pte Robert Varty.
The memorial is situated within the churchyard. The memorial commemorates nine local servicemen who fell in WWI. The ‘faculty’ for its erection was granted in May 1920 and it was unveiled and dedicated on 30th May 1920 by the rector, the Reverend Canon W. P. Gillbanks, and the Bishop of Barrow-in-Furness. The boulder that forms the main part of the memorial was apparently found by the rector in a field at Flatt. The surrounding shell cases and chains are mentioned in an account of the unveiling.
Description: The memorial is prominently situated by the churchyard entrance. It comprises a granite boulder (roughly teardrop shaped) with a bronze plaque attached to its smoothed front face, with a bronze cross affixed to its tip. It is set upon a two-tiered square sandstone base of dressed stone blocks. On the first of these steps, four shell cases painted black form the corner posts for the chains surrounding the monument. The plaque carries the inscription and names and the crest of the Border Regiment. The inscription reads, “4th AUG 1914 – 11th NOV 1918…”
For more information visit the following link: