The William Hill Organ at St. Cuthbert’s
The pipe organ is the largest and most complex of all musical instruments and is often called the “King of Instruments”. Our relatively small organ at St. Cuthbert’s may not quite justify such a grand title, but it is more remarkable than one might expect to find in a small parish church.
The organ was built by William Hill & Son in 1867, originally for St. Bees Priory. It was moved to Seascale in 1897 by the celebrated firm of Harrison & Harrison, who continue to maintain the instrument to this day. Both the relocation and a rebuild in 1927 were overseen by Colonel George Dixon, a local organ enthusiast of national repute who collaborated with Arthur Harrison to design many of the most important cathedral and concert hall organs in the country.
Following the award of a “Historic Organ Certificate” by the British Institute of Organ Studies in 1999, a major programme of refurbishment using authentic techniques and materials was undertaken by Harrison & Harrison in 2000. The inaugural recital on the restored instrument was given on 7th July 2001 by the renowned international concert organist, the late Professor David Sanger.
We are delighted to be able to arrange regular recitals on this fine instrument.
With thanks to Samuel Carradice for the above information.
Details of recitals appear on the News and Events page.
More information about the history and specifications of the organ, as well as details of recitals and an archive of previous recitals can be found here: http://www.cumbrianorganists.org.uk/seascale/index.html