Facilities and features
Click on the tags below to learn more about each.
The car park is next to the Church Street Rooms, about halfway up the hill.
The path up to the church from the churchyard gate is quite steep but smooth tarmac (no steps), and there is a handrail.
Immediately at the church door, there are two steps down. Folding aluminium wheelchair ramps are available close by.
A wheelchair is available in church for use of visitors.
St John’s Church is an imposing building, prominent from the northern and western approaches to the village.
The earliest part of the church, the north aisle, dates from the late 13th century, whereas the nave and tower are of the 14th and 15th centuries. The chancel was rebuilt in 1860.
The box pews in the aisles are 18th century. In a small window in the north aisle a fragment of medieval stained glass, a picture of St John, has survived.
St John’s is known nationally for its medieval wall paintings which were discovered by a previous churchwarden when redecorating the church in 1939 and then painstakingly and expertly revealed by Clive Rouse. The wall paintings were again restored in the 1990s.
Music and Worship
St John’s has a ring of six bells, rung by a team of local bellringers and their Tower Captain, who have a joint practice night with neighbouring bellringers every Thursday at either Corby or Edenham.
Groups, Courses and Activities
Messy Church sessions are held on Saturdays close to important days in the Church’s year from 2pm at the Church Street Rooms.
Help for Visitors
The church and churchyard are open daily from about 9:30am to about 5pm for visitors and private prayer.
See https://www.achurchnearyou.com/church/14523/news/942/followthestar-with-us-this-christmas/ for more details
St John’s Church actively supports the Grantham Food Bank, accepting donations of food from the community via a hamper at the back of the church.