One of "Five in the Fen".
This is a "Fen Chapel".
Our mission: Together in Christ. Called to love, to worship and to serve God.
Parish church built 1816, possibly by Jeptha Pacey. Red brick in Flemish bond, sandstone and limestone, ashlar dressings. Slate roof with deeply overhanging eaves on paired moulded flat brackets. The slate roof was completely replaced in 2020.
The church was built in the same year as the Battle of Waterloo (1816). When the Fens to the north of Boston were drained land was allocated to the various parishes on the fringe of the Fens and to the Church. Sir Joseph Banks argued that as the church was getting the land for free then the church itself should provide new churches and bear the cost centrally. The outcome was the Fen Churches Act which forced the Church Commissioners to provide churches at Wildmore, Langrick, Carrington, Frithville, Eastville and Midville.
Today, the church forms part of the Brothertoft Group, in the Diocese of Lincoln, also known as 'Five in the Fen', which also includes:
St Gilbert of Sempringham, Brothertoft
All Saints, Holland Fen
Christ Church, Kirton Holme
Saint Margaret of Scotland Church, Langrick
The Brothertoft Group (5 churches) and The Sibsey and Carrington Group (4 churches) have one vicar. Services take place at all churches on a regular basis each month when the churches are open. Visitors are always welcome. Services are also led by lay readers and licensed lay preachers, other guest priests as well as Methodist ministers from time to time. Remembrance Services are also organised in November in conjunction with the Royal British Legion. Baptisms, confirmation, weddings, blessings, funerals, burial and interment of ashes may be arranged by the deceased’s loved ones by contacting the Vicar or by contacting the Churchwardens.