Great Coates is on the edge of Grimsby, and traffic coming in and out of the town from the A180 passes on a road which was cut through the Rectory garden in the 1950s.
Looking across the churchyard (famous for its spring flowers) passers by see what was the village church with its large fourteenth century tower.
Those who come in find central pillars dating from about 1200 and a perfect atmosphere for reflection and prayer.
Those who enquire further can encounter the pre-Reformation brasses and even rub the recently created replicas of them.
Those who stay find a regular congregation of about two dozen at 10.30 a.m. most Sundays who are stuck into everything from care of neighbours to promoting fair trade.