The church was built in 1830/31 on the same site as one dating from the middle 15th century. The screen was believed to have originated from Halstead Hall, then built in the old church, where it enclosed the choir. The present screen is only one-third of the original.
The reredos (screen behind the altar) was a three-panel painting of the Good Shepherd by a relation of the Reverend Bates (1913-1923). The panels are now mounted in the Tower.
The Font is octagonal and divided into four panels with quaintly cut emblems of the Evangelists. The panels between shows a seated monk holding a 'Y' representing January, a man with arms akimbo is facing east representing February, a Friar for March and a man holding a rose for April. Pew ends on the south of the nave these are from the first church.
The expressions on the faces from the old church are mournful, though newer ones more cheerful - a reflection of the worshipers? Note the lady poking her tongue out on one pew end at the devil on another opposite. The stone coffin lid, sited near the pulpit, is believed to be that of the last Abbess of Stixwould Priory.
Our services have been affected by the ongoing coronavirus situation. We hope to hold a service at St. Peter's each Sunday, with additional online services. Keep an eye on the Services and Events page for the most up-to-date information about our upcoming services.
Our website is www.woodhallspa.group
Rector and Churchwardens
Our Rector is the Reverend Joseph Snelling
Address: The Vicarage, Alverston Avenue, Woodhall Spa. LN10 6SN
Email: [email protected]
Telephone: 07874 929430
Churchwardens: Two warden posts are currently vacant. Interested? Please contact the Group Administrator or Rector for more information about becoming a churchwarden.