From time to time interesting snippets of historical information relating to St Lawrence's and Fulstow will be added to this page. We are indebted to Nicky Pike for her extensive historical research.
The Reverend C A Bourne
Cornelius Alexander Bourne was the incumbent of Fulstow from November 1860 to October 1869. He held the living when the church began to be restored in 1868. He died on 16 October 1869 at the Hotel Trombetta in Turin, of typhoid, whilst he was on holiday. He was with his brother in a party of some fifty tourists on a Thomas Cook holiday, visiting France, Switzerland and Italy, for five weeks. A press report of the time states that he was “an agreeable associate, and earned the esteem of his fellow travellers during their lengthy journey.”
The cost of insuring St Lawrence's in 1948 for a year was one pound and ten shillings. How things have changed! The insurance company was the County Fire Office of London, and there was a £5,000 indemnity.
Closure of St Lawrence's
The closure of St Lawrence's was ordered in 1867 by the Archdeacon of Lincoln, the Venerable William Kaye. This would have preceded the restoration of 1868. Archdeacon Kaye is an interesting character - he was the son of a Bishop and married the daughter of a Bishop. He was the Archdeacon of Lincoln from 1863 until his death in 1913.
There is a tune named "Fulstow". It was composed by the Reverend Timothy R Matthews. Matthews served as Curate (1853-59) and Curate-in-Charge (1859-69) of
St. Mary’s Church, Nottingham. During this time he founded Nottingham’s
Working Men’s Institute. In 1869, he became Rector at North Cotes,
Lincolnshire. He retired in 1907 to live with his eldest son at Tetney
vicarage. He died in 1910 and is buried at Tetney. The hymn tune was published in the "Presbyterian Book of Praise" in 1897.
Former Fulstow Vicar consecrated Bishop
The Rev Richard Young became Vicar of Fulstow in 1869. He had been educated at Louth Grammar School, and was a graduate of Clare College Cambridge. Through his later work with the Church Missionary Society, he ministered in Canada. On 18 October 1884 he became the first Anglican Bishop to be consecrated in Western Canada, at St John's Cathedral, Winnipeg.
From the Lincolnshire Chronicle in 1868
"Fulstow Church Renovations – Few villages in this neighbourhood have more improved in appearance during the past few years than Fulstow. Twenty years ago it ranked amongst the most desolate places in the Marsh, but its appearance is now quite respectable, and may be said to present to the eye of the visitor even features of a prosperous and well-to-do parish.
One exception to this creditable description has, however, been a very prominent feature up to the present time, that was, a sadly dilapidated church. We are glad to say that it will soon be no longer be an exception, for its restoration is decided upon. The chancel will be restored at the expense of H. Allenby Esq., of Felixstowe, Suffolk, by Mr W.H. Coulam, of Louth;
The remaining part of the alterations and improvements will be carried out by Mr Ryall, Louth.
Considerable inconvenience and delay has been occasioned in consequence of a difficulty in reference to the faculty, but this has now been removed very considerably by the instrumentality of Archdeacon Kaye. The restoration will be of a plain but substantial character."
1847 - The Reverend Holt
It is recorded that the Rev Holt was firmly committed to the temperance movement. He attended a meeting at the Mansion House in Louth. Taking the chair, he warned the young people present not to go into his parish in case they catch the "Fulstow fever" and get married. He said that a strong inducement existed there - as if the couple were both teetotallers he would marry them for no fee !