WEDDINGS AT ST MARY'S:
Covid-19 Information: You are strongly advised to read the latest Government guidance.
We are unable to process queries about availability or new bookings by email. Please visit church and see us after a service.
Please read all of the following general information. You'd be welcome to pop in and see us on a Sunday after the 10.00am service (subject to any restrictions and the church being open) to have an informal chat about wedding, and if necessary after reading the information below, make an appointment. There are legal conditions before we agree to conduct a wedding at St Mary's so we hope that the following important information helps.
St Mary’s is a Church of England Parish Church. The following criteria applies to us and to all Church of England Parish Churches. Couples must have what is called a ‘Qualifying Connection’ to the church they intend to get married. We're sorry that it’s not as straightforward as picking a church and this is because the law states that couples need to have a Qualifying Connection. So, here’s a brief summary of the Qualifying Connections:
We are certainly able to hold weddings for anyone who:
1. Currently lives in the parish and proof of identity. We'd just need to see a driving licence or council tax bill to prove your address and a current passport to prove your identity.
If you do not live in the parish then one of these qualifying connections must apply to either of the couple:
2. If either of you, during your lifetime, lived in the parish for 6 months or more. We'd need to see something evidence for this - like an old bank statement.
3. If either of your parents or grandparents married at this church. We'd need to see a marriage certificate for your parents or grandparents.
4. If either of you were baptised or confirmed here. We'd need to see your baptism or confirmation certificate.
5. If either you has attended the church you intend to marry regularly for 6 months or more. Hopefully we'd know you after 6 months but we do also have a booklet which couples can use. We will make any arrangement after this period has elapsed and the necessary qualification has been obtained.
It should be pointed out that anyone applying to marry under one of the above Qualifying Connections listed above numbers 1 – 4 then the onus is on the couple to provide the church with the necessary documentary evidence. Please note that if you intend to qualify by attendance (number 5) then we can only make the booking once you have attended for 6 months or more.
If you do have a Qualifying Connection and have the necessary evidence then a wedding may be booked for this current year or for the following year.
We know that it's a lot to digest, but we can help and we're here to assist on Sundays after the 10.00 service.