The nave was built in 1858 and together with those of Acklington and Amble, born from the Mother Church of St Lawrence, Warkworth.
The building consists mainly of black dolomite whilst one taken from a local quarry. The building cost £1200 of which sum Henry Earl Grey contributed £1100 and Mr Addison John Baker of Cresswell gave £100. Earl Grey also gave the site and surrounding burial ground.
The chancel and choir vestry were added in 1893 at a cost of £658 raised mainly by public subscription.
A new altar rail, clergy and choir stalls, together with a flat roof choir vestry, were added in 1958 to celebrate the centenary.
New lighting and rewiring was completed in 1980.
The Stations of the Cross were given in 1990.
The Church accommodates 300 worshippers.